Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Can an ADHD Kid Wait on Long Lines?

I'm sure you can guess by now. My Logan is not so great with waiting. Lines are really hard for him too. So my husband thought I was crazy when I took him to Old Navy on Black Friday but there was a giant sale and he really needed a winter coat. I had waited too long to buy him one.

The line looked liked a maze around the store but we stood on it and during that whole time, I kept saying things like:

"Logan, get back here. I can't see where you are."
"Logan, get off the floor."
"Logan, stop touching that."

I don't know how this came to my head but I said, "Logan, you are the Family Line Waiter now. It's your job to wait for us. If you get off the line, you will lose our spot."

So then he stays on the line! He is quiet and paying attention and very concerned about not losing his place! Who was this child?

Well, I tried this method at Sports Authority today and it worked again! Maybe it worked because we were buying things for him. I don't know. All I know is that I found a trick and I wanted to share it with you all.

No comments: