Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Releasing My Chi

















If you are Korean, you may have had this experience. You feel awful, you are burping or yawning and have a fogginess in your head or a migraine. You may even be nauseous. When I was little, I had this a lot and my mother always said I was "Che Haeso" which I think means my energy is blocked. I always thought it was indigestion.

Anyway, she'd massage me in a way to "push blood down to my fingers." Then she'd take a sterilized sewing needle and prick my thumb to get the "bad blood" out. You might think this is some form of child abuse but it always worked!

Unfortunately I still feel like this but the migraines can be unbearable. None of my Western medicine doctors could help me with it so after my panic episode, I decided that I needed to treat this and that acupuncture was the right way to go. I don't want my energy blocked anymore. With these kids, I need all my energy.

Luckily, I found a GREAT acupuncturist in my neighborhood who was actually affordable! She spends a lot of time trying to figure out how to best help me. She's Korean American but uses Japanese techniques. I have no idea what she is doing to me but I have not had a migraine or vomiting incident since I met her. Most importantly, when I lie on her table, I can actually relax. I still feel weird that I am just lying there and someone is taking care of me but I think can get used to it. It works better than Klonopin, that's for sure. If you want to find out more about her check out: www.woodsideacu.com

(pictured above: My acupuncturist, Hyun Lee)

2 comments:

AZMom said...

I just read your entire blog. You are a very amazing and brave woman. I've had those panic attacks and they are no fun. I have a son with ADHD,SPD,OCD,ODD and he may be bi-polar too. I found your blog on the ADHD site.

I used to get acupuncture after my car accident. If you continue to find it helpful with dealing with stress, please let me know because I did like it when I was getting it. I owe myself a massage or two (or ten) as well.

My son is adopted from Korea which is the other reason I felt a connection when I saw your boys.

I agree with your bra and panty theory. After my hysterectomy last year, I went out and bought myself new bras and panties. It was great. :-)

Have a great holiday. I will be following your blog :-)

Jenn said...

AZ,
Have a great holiday yourself. You have a lot on your plate. How old is your son? I wonder if you know of organizations like Also-Known-As to help you. It must be so hard for you. Thank you so much for your comment. As for the acupuncture, I'll let you know how it works for me.