Sunday, January 4, 2009

GF Korean-ish Zucchini Pancakes

















Since I've been talking about food so much these days, I decided to share a favorite GFCF recipe. It's super easy and a good way to get them some vitamin A and fat.

If you are a fan of Korean pancakes, you would know that they are not for breakfast and they are filled with scallions, veggies, and seafood but this one is my adaptation for little kids. You might also know that Koreans do something special with green squash, they slice it and dip it in an egg and flour batter and fry it. Of course, my guys can't have this. But I made something in-between. We can call it fusion GF Asian cuisine.

Korean-ish Zucchini Pancakes

1 cup GF Flour Blend (I use Bette Hagman's rice, tapioca, and potato starch ratio)
1 egg or egg substitute (I use flax egg)
1 medium to large zucchini
salt to taste or GF soy sauce as a dipping sauce
a little water if needed
1 tsp of sugar or agave nectar if you wish
at least 1/4-1/3 cup of oil, you'll need to add more possibly later (I used canola)

1. Prepare your flax egg or egg substitute and set aside.
2. Grind your zucchini (don't have to peel it if you don't want to) to a pulp and add to mixing bowl. But if your kids don't like green foods, peel off the green, my nutritionist says that the vitamin A is inside the slimy part of the squash.
3. Add your GF Flour and your egg and mix with a spoon - no need to mix a lot or use a mixer.
4. The consistency should be a little runny but still somewhat thick so add a little water if needed
5. If you will use GF soy sauce as a dipping sauce then don't put in salt.
6. Pour oil in a large frying pan and when hot, put in one spoonful of batter. For kids, I like to make dollar-size cakes.
7. Fry the cake. Flip it over. Taste it. If you like the texture, then make more cakes.
8. If your cakes are gummy, you might need just a little more water.
9. Your kids might not like it so crunchy, if so, lower the heat.
10. You can do this with butternut squash too but I cook that squash before mixing it with the flour and you will need a lot more water for that recipe. You can also add pureed fruit too. I do sometimes since Spencer won't eat fruit.
11. If you freeze the leftovers, I suggest undercooking the last batch. Refrying is the best way to heat it.

No comments: