Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Gratitude

There are many people I know who are blessed to have a faith in their lives. I have never really had that. I was exposed to Christianity and Buddhism and yet neither ever stuck with me. The latest philosophy of interest is something I learned in a book called The Secret written by Rhonda Byrne.

The book is all about how thinking positive thoughts will bring good things in your life. I do believe that. Last Spring, I started to really get into it but was sidetracked when Spencer went on his food strike and I was losing my mind.

Anyway, long story short, after the panic diagnosis, I have been trying to get back to The Secret. One of my favorite exercises from The Secret is just writing a list of things for which I'm grateful. According to The Secret, the Universe rewards those who are grateful for the things in their life.

So for this New Year's Day post, I'd like to share with you my list:

  • I'm married to a good man and a good father. He even lets me write complaints about him in this blog.
  • My children are in good health and have beautiful hearts and minds.
  • My parents and father-in-law are still healthy and living on their own.
  • My husband is good at his job and so far, even in this economy, he's kept his job which means I can continue to stay home and carry out my plans for the children.
  • I am satisfied with how much therapy my children are receiving. They also have wonderful therapists.
  • Logan is in a great special ed pre-school that provides us with a lot of support.
  • I have a brother and sisters-in-law who help me with my children.
  • My brother is getting married to a wonderful woman!
  • I have a caring and easygoing babysitter who likes to keep Spencer busy.
  • I got 2 new bra and panty sets!
  • My husband bought me a wireless-something so that I can work on my notebook wherever in the house.
  • I still have my old friends who occasionally call me to make sure I haven't fallen apart.
  • I made some new friends who care about me and give me good tips to make sure I get all the services that my children deserve.
  • I found great and affordable places to do private evaluations for Logan's transition to Kindergarten.
  • I have finally been diagnosed correctly with anxiety and depression and am getting good treatment for it.
  • I am grateful for my acupuncturist who heals me and told me to start this blog although my husband tries to take credit for this idea.
  • My husband and I have "Date Night" twice a month now.
  • Even though it's really expensive, we have enough money to try the DAN! protocol on both our sons for at least a year.
  • I am grateful for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and all health food stores for selling the foods that I need to buy for my kids' ridiculously restrictive diets.
  • I am grateful for the Queens Library so that I don't have to buy every book that I need to read.
  • I am grateful that I started this blog and am thankful for every single comment and email that has been sent to me.

May your new year be filled with luck, happiness, good fortune, and lots and lots of love. Thanks for reading my blog.

2 comments:

Sue L. said...

Jenn, I am impressed by your strength and your capacity for positive thinking. What a great first post of 2009.

Jenn said...

Thanks Sue. I was going to do a lose weight thing but to me that is a year-round issue anyway. Happy New year and thanks for writing!!