Monday, January 12, 2009

The Power of Positive Thinking

Four days ago, I posted a plea asking you to send positive thoughts and/or prayers so that Spencer can get his occupational therapist. I had been watching his behavior get rapidly get worse with sensory cravings.

Today, I got a phone call from Linda, my service coordinator who had been working non-stop for two months to find him an OT. She said that we finally got one and at a time that was really convenient. For those of you who sent us those good vibes, thank you!! I know some of you are skeptical about my positive thoughts/prayers thing but ever since I read The Secret, I do find that using positive thinking has been very helpful to me. I heard about The Secret through the Oprah Show so I figured it couldn't be too kooky. I learned a lot of good things from the Oprah Show like getting rid of my clutter and breaking up with abusive boyfriends.

Anyway, I also started brushing and massaging Spencer 2-3 times a day since Thursday and his therapists noticed a change in behavior after I did that. I'm still so amazed how that little plastic brush could help calm him down. How did anyone ever think of that?

(Pictured: Katie Cawein, Spencer's afternoon ABA therapist working with him today. He really paid attention and was able to easily be redirected at all his therapies today. Could it really have been my brushing and massaging that made the difference? I have such little faith, don't I? I have to work on that.)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Came to your blog from adhdparentsupportgroup on yahoo. Will need to read further, but wanted to let you know I LOVE the title! :) Keep up the good work. Momming is a tough, often thankless, gig. All we can do is the best we can do.... :)

Jenn said...

Karen,
Thanks for writing. Being calm is so important, isn't it? Not only does it allow me to be happy with myself but my kid will surely copy me if I lose my temper. It's a lot of pressure but the drugs help.