Saturday, February 14, 2009

Time for Some More Gratitude

I recently read a post an another ADHD mom blog who was very excited about having read The Secret. I read the Secret a while ago and like working out, I frequently neglect the very important exercises that are supposed to help me and bring me more happiness.

I'm supposed to write what I'm grateful for on almost a daily basis but I haven't done so since I wrote my New Year's post. I am ashamed of this so today, I am going to shout out to the universe about the things for which I am grateful.
  1. I am still so thankful to my husband for being a great supporter of this blog. Not only does he not mind that I complain about him here but he actually gives me some of the best ideas I've had to improve the blog.
  2. I am grateful for my brother and his fiance who shower my children with love (and way too many toys). He doesn't believe in SPD but he stills buys Logan the best weighted blanket on the market. That's the kind of guy he is and I am so lucky he's marrying such a great person. I totally love her.
  3. I am so lucky that I got the most compassionate, professional, affordable neuropsychological evaluation I could ever imagine. I don't know where we'd be if I didn't decide to get this for Logan. Thank you Universe for Gayle Herman and the JBFCS.
  4. I am grateful that Logan received such great private speech and OT evaluations and I got them through my insurance co-pay of only $25 dollars. Jackpot!
  5. I am SOOOOOOOOO grateful for all the people who visited this blog. Over two thousand of you have dropped by in the two months I've been putting up posts. I'm not sure if that is a big number in the blog world but it's a number I never expected when I started this thing.
  6. I am extra grateful for the visitors who have sent me comments on what to do about all the things in my life I need to work on. I hope that I am not the only one who has benefited from the thoughtful responses and that we have all learned from each other.
  7. I am grateful that there are private special education schools that might be a match for Logan. (We are still awaiting to hear some good news) They are such beautiful schools. They really inspire me on all the possibilities there are for Logan and for all children.
  8. I am so grateful for the ABA therapy that Spencer has received. When Spencer was 21-22 months, he had only 5 words and had behavior that was really worrying me. Now, this child says lots of words including "Thank You Daddy" and can read numbers, name colors, and shapes. He just turned two a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I know, it's amazing, isn't it?
  9. I am grateful for all of Logan and Spencer's therapists but especially Spencer's feeding/speech therapist, Anastasia Pieri. When we first started, Anastasia met a weepy mom and starving boy who both needed a lot of help. She stood firm and looked at not just the speech/feeding needs but the needs of the whole child and family and helped me get a social worker and ABA therapy. I had no idea that these could help Spencer and while we still have a lot of work to do, it is fair to say that he is doing really great!
  10. I am also grateful for Logan's therapist and his school. I remember being very hesitant to send him there but ohmigosh, it was one of the best decisions I ever made, next to marrying my husband and having children. This school psychologist Giuliana Losapio is always willing to talk to me, be frank with me, and hold my hand as I go through this difficult process of putting him in an appropriate kindergarten.
  11. I am grateful for all the yahoogroups I belong to: ADD-ODD, adhdparentsupport, ADD-ADHD-Parents, ADHD_DrugFree, autismaba, GFCFrecipes, sunnymoms, and autisminfo. There are so many parents who care and want to help others. I am so glad I've found them and hope I have contributed a little to their lives.
  12. I am grateful for all the friends I've made since my life changed from a clueless mom to a clueless mom of special needs children. You know who you are. You have changed my life.
  13. I am also grateful for the friends who've stuck by me despite how stressed I am and how much I must have changed and have different interests now that I've got these kids with these issues. I am truly blessed.
  14. I am grateful for the Logan's first pediatrician who never took me seriously about Logan's behavior. If it wasn't for her, I might have had him evaluated earlier and perhaps decided that he'd be an only child. Then we would have missed out on Spencer! I can't imagine my life without this breast-squeezing, trampoline-jumping, seven-flights-of-stairs-climbing (2-3x in a row) toddler who won't let me sleep past 5:15 am. My favorite Spencer word: yeh-wo (yellow)
  15. Pictured above: I am grateful that Logan has overcome a lot of his sensory issues with water (he used to be really scared and still is sort of scared but he's trying hard). I'm also grateful that swimming has become a special weekly Daddy-and-Logan time.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all.

p.s. I wanted to clarify something on my last "gratitude" post. I said that my husband and I have a date every two weeks. These dates are at home when the kids are asleep and we have wine and cheese and talk. My social worker chuckled and said, "that's not really a date." Okay, they are not ideal but that's what we can afford and we are trying to get out more often now.

3 comments:

Penny said...

What a wonderful list! I am just getting started with this but I am already feeling so great. Your blog definitely makes a difference in the life of others. I am grateful you share your experiences and a piece of yourself with all of us.

Jenn said...

Penny, I really wish you the best with The Secret. Don't be like me, keep up the gratitude journal and those affirmations as frequently as possible. Imagine, envision, and keep wishing and praying. You inspired me to do the same. Thank you.

Jiming said...

A date is whatever you make it. Having wine and cheese without the kids and talking wherever you are - out or home sounds pretty nice.

This was a lovely post and Happy Valentine's Day to you.