Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Being Inventive and Standing Firm: Transitions-Made-Easy Winner Announced
















Congratulations to Lily from Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada, the winner of the Transitions-Made-Easy Advice Contest. Lily's prize is the Choiceworks Visual Support System donated by our judge, Julie Azuma, founder of Different Roads to Learning. Here are a few words from Julie:

Dear Jenn,

I want to thank you and your readers for the wonderful insights in how we all deal with transitions. It is just mind boggling to think of all of the ways mothers use to get their kids ready for transitions. I love how each mother uses time differently to get their children to move through the day. The "lightbulb" went on in my head on why we sell so many timers.

My first choice for the contest is Lily. I admire Lily because she uses very accessible objects (post-its and her cell phone) in an inventive way to teach transitions. Most importantly, Lily is able to stand firm on the transitions. (Standing firm is one of my own issues so I'm in awe of moms who can do it). She's able to weather and acknowledge the source of the behaviors and still move forward into the day.

Jenn, thank you again for putting me on your blog. I am so thrilled to be part of your community and to be able to share stories and ideas with your wonderful network.

Warmest regards,
Julie






















Here was Lily's winning response:
For transitions, we write on a sticky note all the things we are planning for the day, or outing, or whatever. Then he gets to cross them off as they get done. We use the alarm clock setting on my cell phone to tell him how much longer he can stay at an activity he likes before we move on. We tell him at at all times what is going on, and we say what we mean and mean what we say, so he knows that no matter what behaviours he throws at me, I will do what I said I will. This means that he has learned not to fight me and decisions about transitions.

Thanks Lily and Julie and everyone else for sharing your stories and ideas. Hopefully we will have more successful transitions in 2010!- Jenn

Photo 1: Lily enjoying a rare moment of relaxation at her mother's cabin. I am relaxed just looking at this picture. I love it!

Photo 2: Lily's son, Patrick, recently dressed up as his favorite TV character, Spongebob, for Halloween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lily!
kct